She’ll now be the clinic midwife for the week, and I’ll be on call taking pages, attending assessments, postpartum home visits, and births.
We make almost all decisions together as a group, review situations that we need guidance on, and maybe a teeeeny tiny huge dose of just enjoying eachother's company. Some of these ladies are the funniest people I've ever met! And sometimes the nitty gritty of our job means we see very little of one another without Wednesdays.
We don’t ask our clients to page us with this routinely since early labor sometimes takes a very long time, or stops completely, but sometimes they have questions or fears that they need our guidance for. The other midwife on call will be taking care of that woman during her labour, but she’ll need me to help at the end and support her if she’s been working all night.
But here’s a problem: The woman who called me earlier is planning a home birth. The one who called the other midwife is planning a hospital birth. Two midwives have to attend every birth, and there are only two of us on call. This is a tricky situation that we run into often. 99% of the time it works out perfectly. The other 1% of the time we have to ask both women to be in the hospital so that we can attend to them safely.
And there you have it! Yes, the sleep is sparse sometimes. The hours are strange and unpredictable. The family situation is complicated by the “what ifs” associated with the job title. But you know what? I love it.